Effective communication hinges on mastering the art of efficient and impactful writing.
Having written a document, before you print or send it, spend a minute reading the text and ask yourself the following questions:
- Is it crisp and concise?
- Is it clear and easy to understand?
- Is it easy to read (for anyone – including non-technical people and non-native English speakers)?
- Is it well articulated and logically presented?
Write to express not impress!
- Check it’s relevant- think about the person who is to read it.
- Make it straightforward- remove any ambiguity
- Take up as little of the reader’s time as possible
- Write with the reader in mind – what is important to them?